Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Friday, March 9

Having gotten my bearings, today I met with the heads of the Tourism Management and Economics departments at PUCE, Pontificia Universidad Catolica del Ecuador. Very productive. While I took a cab to the university, I leisurely strolled back to the hostel. Quito does not have the safest reputation and I wanted to get a feel for the area around the university. I felt very safe, at least during the day.

That evening, I also walked from the hostel to dinner at Theatrum, located in the Opera House. The streets were bustling and again, I felt very safe. A tour group that was heading to the Galapagos Islands took most of the tables, but they had arranged for a member of the company to give a performance during dinner. The set varied from Verdi to Sinatra. My only complaint is that the long, red drapes prevented you from looking out on the square below. Otherwise, a combination of very good food and wonderful ambiance. I was very careful on the walk back, following right behind a mother with her child, and then two couples, until I was in sight of the police who regularly patrol the Old Town.


No comments:

Post a Comment