Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Saturday, February 25


Sooty-capped Bush-Tanager
The day started at 6:30 so I could get 2 hours of hunting quetzal before breakfast. A large group had already formed around the nest hole, but all that was visible were two long tail feathers of the male Resplendant Quetzal. While we waited for some movement, a Black Guan flew across the river and perched in the trees for a few seconds before continuing deeper into the forest. I quickly grew impatient and started to hike along the river hoping to find some smaller species in the brush, but I came up empty. I returned to the nesting hole, but still only two tail feathers. I found a large boulder by the river and decided to just sit. I figured that if anything happened with the quetzal, I would hear it. This turned out to be a great spot as a Tufted Flycatcher, Collared Redstart, Grey-breasted Woodwren, Flame-backed Tanager, Sooty-capped Brush-finch, Black-cheeked Warbler, Chestnut-capped Brushfinch and Black Phoebe. The female quetzal returned to the nest, so I returned to the ever expanding group looking increasingly ridiculous. A guide pointed out a Band-tailed Pigeon and Yellow-winged Vireo. I couldn’t wait any long for the male to appear since breakfast was waiting for me, but the hike out offered a better look at the Sooty-capped Brush-finch. Just before Suenos del Bosque, a Dark Pewee was perched on a power line. This is undeniably the prettiest of the Pewee’s with an orange lower mandible contrasting with its charcoal grey body.
Dark Pewee



After eating, I headed to Savegre to hike some of their trails, finding a Yellow-bellied Siskin in the brush along the river, along with a Stripe-tailed Hummingbird and a Tufted Flycatcher. On the grounds, I got a great look at a Slaty-Flowerpiercer and a Black-capped Flycatcher on the dirt road leading to the trailheads. The start of the Quebrada Trail presented a mix-flock of Collared Redstart, Ruddy Treerunner, Spot-crowned Woodcreeper, Grey-breasted Woodwren, Ruddy-capped Nightingale-Thrush, Black-faced Solitaire, and Flame-colored Warbler. This flock appeared intermittently for the rest of the hike. The trail was incredibly beautiful, twisting deeper into the cloud forest. I also found a Hairy Woodpecker, which has a noticeably darker breast than the North American variety. Crossing a stream, a Mountain Robin was perched on an overhanging branch, allowing a good look, but poor photographs. Three Large-footed Finches quickly crossed the trail. Coming off the trail, a Yellow-thighed Brush-finch provided a much better view than on the hike down the valley.
Black-capped Flycatcher

After lunch, I found and then enjoyed a good long nap. Dinner again featured trucha and again presented more delicious food than I could ever hope to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment