Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Saturday, June 11

I awoke around 7am to the bus arriving in Cochabamba's bus terminal. It was colder outside the bus than inside. Having no clue where I was or even where I was staying, I accepted a ride from the first taxi that arrived and use the GPS on my phone to get us to the hotel (Anteus) suggested by the hostel owner in Santa Cruz. They had a room (Bs240) and I took the first few hours of the day taking a shower and washing my hiking clothes.

I spent the rest of the day exploring the city by moving from plaza to plaza. In the alley behind Iglesia San Juan de Dios in Plaza 14 de Septiembre I found a store that sold items produced by Bolivian artisans. Every article had a tag that included the materials used in its production and the name of the artist. I purchased a handmade hat, which will surely come in handy in La Paz, and two scarves. On the walk back, I noticed a White-faced Ibis, a flock of Andean Gulls, and a man in his underwear in the river.

After a well-earned nap, I went to dinner at La Estancia, a restaurant mentioned in the trip notes of other birders. I enjoyed an incredible Argentinian steak (Bs90) and a very nice salad bar.

Bird Tally: 2 new, 1 lifer.

No comments:

Post a Comment