Monday, June 20, 2011

Thursday, June 9

I spent a leisurely morning walking around La Vispera for the final time hoping to photograph a Planalto Hermit, which I had seen on several occasions, but hadn't caught on film. He arrived right outside my door, but yet again, my camera wasn't fast enough. I did catch another glimpse of a Glittering-bellied Emerald and a female Red-tailed Comet. Some Purplish Jays were also in the trees across from my door, but this too has been an elusive species to photograph well. In addition to standard fare of Rufous-bellied Thrush, Saffron Finch and Rufous Hornero, I spotted a Stripe-crowned Spinetail. I also found a small pond on the property, which had Rufous-crowned Sparrow and Black-capped Warbling-Finch in the surrounding brush. This was an area I wish I had discovered earlier.

Stripe-crowned Spinetail (300mm, f/6.3 1/250, ISO200) 
I also had to say farewell to the perros that roamed La Vispera. While all three were very nice dogs, the young female was very playful, once stealing a gourd from a farm basket and attacking it with zeal. Unfortunately, I left my cowboy hat laying around and she incited the other dogs into an active game of tug-of-war. The hat survived. 

Dog at La Vispera (55mm, f/7.1 1/200, ISO200)


The shared taxi back to Santa Cruz was a relatively uneventful ride, though the views along the river are truly stunning. Santa Cruz was waiting with the first rain of the trip. I was originally hoping for an easy night of looking through bird photos, but ended up going to a kareoke bar with Joe, an Australian guy I had met on my first stay in Santa Cruz, a Dane and two young Aussie women. The night ended after several Huari and a rousing rendition of Mr. Jonew with me teaching a German how to play the guitar using the chords from Wagon Wheel. Interesting night to say the least.

Bird Tally: 2 new, 2 lifers

No comments:

Post a Comment