Saturday, June 2, 2012

Friday, March 16


The trip to Lima on Thursday was uneventful and as I usually do when arriving in a new city, I took a nap, though I did notice the tremendous collection of Neotropic Comorants on the power lines during the ride from the airport to Miraflores.

The highlight of the day was actually dinner at Restaurante Central. I had the chef’s menu and such incredibly good food. One of the best places I have ever eaten and the chef stopped by the table to chat. The head chef was actually away that night, so his assistant was running the show. The kitchen is separated from the dining room by a glass wall and it was impressive to watch the meals being constructed.

Today, I decided that I would descend the cliffs that separate the Miraflores district from the beaches below and walk along the Pacific. As surfers prepped themselves for waves, I enjoyed a very productive stroll. Pacific Dove (previously conspecific with our White-winged Dove) were abundant on the cliffs. Pacific Pelican (previously conspecific with Brown Pelican) were on the beach along with Band-tailed Gull. A large flock of striking Inca Tern blanketed a pier. Franklin’s Gull and Kelp Gull were perched on power lines along with countless Neotropical Comorants. This was good practice to learn the field marks that separate Franklin’s from other black hooded gulls as I waited to see them spread their wings to reveal white before their black primary tips. The last stop on the walk back produced a small flock of Grey Gulls


Pacific Dove

Grey Gull

Inca Tern

No comments:

Post a Comment