Saturday, June 2, 2012

Sunday, May 27


Today began the first day of my first organized birding tour. I woke up at 4:30 to be ready in the lobby for breakfast at 5. After a plate of fruit and some coffee, we (myself and a woman from Los Angeles) were off to Yanacocha with our guide, Jose, and driver, Hugo.

When I first tried to bird Yanacocha in March, I made it about an hour before becoming drenched. Today, we were graced with incredibly blue skies until early afternoon. On the road to the reserve, I grabbed a picture of a Southern Yellow Grosbeak, which I had actually seen before in fleeting glimpses, but had never bothered to identify. As I was setting up the tripod, a number of birds were called including lifers like Black-chested Mountain Tanager, but for these I was only able to grab a quick look while they flew farther up-mountain.

Properly ready to bird, the first hummingbird was a Shining Sunbeam. We then encountered a mixed flock of Masked Flowerpiercer and Glossy Flowerpiercer, followed by Supercilliated Hemispingus. Jose recognized the call of an Ocellated Tapaculo, which did not allow a sustained look, but clearly revealed its dazzling collection of spots. A Stripe-headed Brushfinch also made an appearance as we hoped for another shot at the Tapaculo. Coming around a corner, a female Barred Fruiteater was perched beautifully.

Around this time, I was starting to feel three cups of coffee assault my bladder. I let Jose go ahead and I dipped down a side trail with thoughts of finding a rarity, but mostly thinking about how good it would feel to pee. Midstream, the endemic Black-chested Puffleg appeared and calmly perched. I pushed as hard as my muscles would allow and ran back to grab the camera. After a good set of shots, the bird flew away and I called to Jose to confirm my suspicions. We were almost 90% sure we had the Black-chested and returned to the trail hoping for another look. After a few minutes, he reappeared, his violet vent and neck glistening.

More hummingbirds followed as we moved along the trail and toward the hummingbird feeders, notably Tyrian Metaltail. We also came across White-tailed Tyrannulet. At the feeders, we were treated to Buff-winged Starfrontlet, Sword-billed Hummingbird, Sapphire-vented Puffleg, Golden-chested Puffbird, Great Sapphirewing, and Mountain Velvetbreast.

Our attention to hummingbirds was momentarily disrupted by Jose, who coaxed an exceptionally curious juvenile Rufous Antpitta from the forest understory. At some points, the antpitta was so close that I could not focus the lens, passing between my legs as I struggled to keep the tripod from falling over.

The walk back netted the male Barred Fruiteater, Scarlet-breasted Mountain Tanager, Blue-winged Mountain Tanager and Hooded Mountain Tanager, along with a flock of Rufous Wren. After a well-deserved lunch, we got to watch one of the most bizarre spectacles. The ranger whistled a random tune and tossed pieces of worm to Tawny Antpitta who seemed as well trained as any dog.

On the ride to Tandayapa Lodge, our base for the trip, we stopped on numerous occasions either to walk a promising stretch of road or to track down an interesting sound. This yielded many good species including: Plain-tailed Wren, Azara’s Spinetail, Spectacled Whitestart, White-tailed Tyrannulet, Slate-collared Redstart, White-capped Dipper, Slaty-backed Chat-Tyrant, Capped Conebill, Andean Cock-of-the-Rock, Sickle-winged Guan, Montane Woodcreeper, Turquoise Jay, Plushcap (no picture). Arriving at the Lodge, the feeders were alive as usual, but I was able to add a Green-crowned Brilliant to the list of new hummingbirds.

23 Lifers

No comments:

Post a Comment