Saturday, June 2, 2012

Tuesday, March 13


The flight to Guayaquil was uneventful, but the traffic in town and humidity are anything but. My room was not ready for check-in, so I grabbed my camera and walked along the Malecon, hoping to find something interesting along the Guayas. I was particularly hopeful about the Botanical Gardens, but I did not recognize them as I strolled right through them. Regardless, I quickly found a Pacific Hornero.

Pacific Hornero
A small pond contained three juvenile Black-crowned Night-heron, a Scrub Blackbird, and a Social Flycatcher. There was a restaurant on the other side, so I wandered over for lunch. While sitting there, I saw a Striated Heron capture a fish and a pair of Ecuadorian Ground-Dove. An adult Black-crowned Night-Heron started to hunt and managed to nab a large fish. As he struggled with how to swallow its catch, I impatiently waited for the check not wanting to miss the show. Eventually, my waiter came back with the change and I sprinted around to the area where the Night-heron battled its prey, arriving just in time to see the beast swallowed in a swift gulp. Incredibly impressive sight. Walking back to the hotel, I found a jaunty Southern Beardless Tyrannulet in a tree.

Scrub Blackbird


I returned to the hotel, turned the A/C on full blast and took a long nap. I only reluctantly woke up and strolled to a sushi restaurant. Walking the streets of Guayaquil is not recommended and I understand why. Very desolate. I moved fast, didn’t slow down and didn’t look around. It was an unnerving 6 blocks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment