Sunday, February 19, 2012

Costa Rica 2012

I am in Costa Rica to explore options for developing a study abroad program. Costa Rica is a birding hot spot that I have been avoiding because it is too developed. Yeah, just because I like tropical diseases and bouts of diarrhea. That's how I roll.

Travelling through Latin America, I have been struck by small agricultural operations that produce a high value crop in an environmentally sustainable manner; respect the traditions of rural farming communities; and encourage tourists to experience a unique aspect of the country. In general, these operations exist because of individuals from the developed world who have been inspired during their own travels off the beaten path. Given its long-standing dedication to rural economic development, I decided that this is precisely something that Texas A&M and my department should base a study-abroad opportunity upon. And I am here to start that process.

Of course, there is only so much time available for meetings, so in the mornings and late afternoons, I will do as much birding as I can manage.

No comments:

Post a Comment