Sunday, February 19, 2012

Wednesday, July 27

An early start brought us to Moosehorn NWF, an area dedicated to preserving breeding grounds for American Woodcock. This is yet another bird I have never seen. If American Woodcock was a mosquito, I could have checked it off. Not only did I not find a Woodcock, Delta was tormented by mosquitoes.

After an hour, we hopped back in the car and drove over to Canada. It took about 90 minutes to get to the ferry for Grand Manan, an island that sits in the Bay of Fundy. They were boarding just as we showed up, so there was no need to wait. Crossing fish-rich open water, this is a great chance to view seabirds and it did not disappoint. Northern Gannet plunged into the water from 30 feet in the air. Great Shearwater were numerous in groups of 4 to 20. A Leach’s Storm-petrel flew low across the sea. A handful of Guillemot and Common Murre were also scattered around. Undeniably a great experience.

Based on my Maine birding guide, I resolved to camp at Hole in the Wall. As we approached the ferry terminal, the skies began to clear and I immediately realized this was a great plan. Hole in the Wall is high on the cliffs overlooking the bay and I was given a site with a perfect view of the lighthouse. I arrived just before a couple from mainland New Brunswick and they ended up just a few sites down from mine.
I set up camp and hurried back down the island to find a place to eat—more lobster. The sunset was a beautiful and coaxed seals into the harbor. We slept well, only interrupted by the period flash of the beacon from the light house and the sounds of whales coming to the surface for air. 

No comments:

Post a Comment