Sunday, February 19, 2012

Saturday, February 18

I could have gotten up at 5 am. I actually set my alarm for that. An alarm going off at 5am on only 3 hours of sleep only causes one thing: an overwhelming sense of self-loathing followed by turning your phone off.

I got out of the hotel at 8am (still only 5+ of bad hours of sleep on a body that needs 8-9 to function properly) and headed back to the car rental place. Things had changed dramatically from last night. Last night, I was alone. This morning, I was in a long line of people angry and frustrated at the absence of cars. The other rental companies were no help because they didn't have extra cars to rent out.

Instead of waiting (and waiting=pissed to me), I decided to focus on the amazingly beautiful weather, forego any thoughts of driving while in Costa Rica, grab a cab to San Jose and take a bus to Puerto Viejo a Sarapiqui. After walking in the wrong direction or too far in the right direction several times, I eventually found my bed of the night at Posada Andrea Cristina. I picked this place because the gentleman who runs it is a Costa Rican and important local conservationist, Alex Martinez. In addition, his son has a degree in ecotourism from ITCR, the university with which I am hoping to partner. This area also includes many important conservation, ecotourism and agritourism operations, including Rara-Avis and La Selva Biological Station.  This seemed like a good introduction to Costa Rica for the purposes of my travel.

After finding a Pollo Rico for lunch and getting lost several times, I showed up sweaty and tired around 3pm. Since there was not much time for anything else and I was already a mess, Alex dropped me off at the nesting site of a Great Green Macaw, who was dutifully watching his nest.

No comments:

Post a Comment