Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sunday, July 24

I started the drive in rain until I reached Worchester, MA. By New Hampshire, the skies had cleared and a few exits into Maine, I stopped for lunch—a lobster roll at a roadside shed with picnic tables and a packed parking lot. This gave Delta a chance to happily scour the grass for oyster crackers.

After lunch, I proceeded up the Maine turnpike to Bangor, which seemed a good spot to start the trip for three reasons: easy access to Orono to eat around the campus of UMaine, not terribly far from Bar Harbor and Acadia; and most importantly, not expensive.

After settling in, Delta and I headed out to find a logging road and perhaps Boreal Chickadee, one of my big target species for the trip. We parked and Delta was free to run at will through the pines while I strolled. Although there were no Chickadees, I did spot plenty of juvenile robins, tens of Chipping Sparrows and a singing Pine Warbler. 

A beat up car stopped to ask directions. Delta ran straight to it and threw her paws up on the window. The driver, a rather shaggy man, opened his car door. Delta scrambled in, then over his lap, across the consol and into the backseat to harass the two children seated there. I was horrified that the door was going to slam shut and they would drive away with my dog. Of course, that didn’t happen. But, it did make me think I needed to train her not to hop into cars unless I say its OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment