Friday, February 17, 2012

Monday, June 20

First things first: new passport. I went down to the US embassy, which is in a beautiful neighborhood in south La Paz, first thing in the morning to get a document that would prove I had a US passport in the first place, so I could then file a police report, which I could then return to the embassy to file the documentation for a lost passport. At least this is what the tourist police told me I had to do. This was looking like an all day affair, best case scenario.

Upon reaching the embassy, I was told tourist police often make stuff like that up. There is no such proof of citizenship document. After a background check, I was invited into the embassy and started the paperwork for a new passport. I met a young backpacker, KK, who had her purse stolen at a bar. Her passport was in her purse. I am not the only person who does silly things, though looking for solace in the behavior of 20 year olds is not reassuring at this point in my life. After scraping together most of my remaining funds, I paid for the new passport and strolled through the city again, because that was really all I could afford to do until a new credit card arrived. 

No comments:

Post a Comment