Friday, February 17, 2012

Sunday, June 26

I want to die. Honestly, this is painful and degrading. I have to sneak around the hostel finding unoccupied bathrooms. If you’ve never had Giardia, you cannot understand this experience unless you’ve have something worse like IBS or Crohn’s, which I assume are just Giardia for life. Also, I itch everywhere. And, I can’t hear.

It is Sunday, but I am determined to find an open pharmacy to get an antihistamine to block the allergic reaction to the milk. I stumble from the hostel. I am weak and woozy, but it is bright, sunny and blue. I walk and feel weak. I walk more and I feel dizzy. I find an open pharmacy, but my pronunciation of antihistamine is not working. I explain that I have las ronchas. He asks how. I don’t know how to say unpasteurized milk, so I try, Tome la leche, desde la vaca al vaso (literally, I drank milk, from the cow to the glass). His eyes lit up with that you-stupid-gringo brightness to which one quickly becomes accustomed, “Ahh, anti-HEE-sti-MEE-na.” He gave me something and I started my walk back.

I don’t think I made it more than a block when I stopped and leaned into a window sill. I don’t think I made it more than 3 seconds before I lurched forward, landing face-first on the pavement. I suppose most of the Pacenos doing their Sunday afternoon errands thought I was just another gringo borracho, but it was enough of a spectacle for at least one couple to stop and ask if I was ok. I told the gentleman I was not, that I felt very ill. He asked if I wanted water. I said yes. He returned with a bottle. When I rummaged for coins, he would not accept. There wasn’t much else he could do while I recovered from fainting, so I thanked him politely and explained that I just needed to sit for a while. (note: I think this happened in Spanish. Go me!)

Soon after, another couple stopped, but they spoke English. In fact, they weren’t locals. They were Israelis staying at the same hostel and recognized me. I recounted the description of my fainting spell and the gentlemen asked whether I wanted some chocolate. This was a genius idea and he ran off to a tienda. He also refused payment.

This entire time, I am fully cognizant of two things. First, I need to get back to my bed to recover. Second, I probably would not make it without fainting again. When the man returned with the chocolate, I ate a piece and asked them for help getting back to my room. I felt fine enough to walk if they wouldn’t mind accompanying me. They gladly agreed and all was quickly returned to normal…after I purchased 2 snickers bar at reception.

No comments:

Post a Comment